Monday, September 21, 2015

Wait! Where's my camera?!

How many times have you heard kids say "No more pictures mom!" When I was growing up taking pictures was a requirement. All of my siblings can pull out our "picture ready" smile at the drop of a hat. And here's the best part: that smile is nearly identical in every picture.
It's a skill really and one that I am rather proud of. I can't speak for my siblings but I like that my mom took so many pictures of us. Although, sometimes I had to side with my brothers when it came to the sheer volume of flashes we were subjected to on family vacations. I do recall on several occasions my brother Jarom say "can't we just enjoy the moment?"
I don't know if he was seriously just wanting to savor a moment or if his cheeks just hurt from smiling so much but I've thought about this a lot recently. I take a TON of pictures of my girls. I'm talking probably too much and usually it's not when we're doing anything very fun. Olivia is getting pro at selfies with her dad and hopefully soon she'll just smile when she sees a camera come out but we're working on it. Sophia is just blissfully unaware and adorable. But that's how we all are at 2 months I think.
Tonight we spend Family Home Evening at the park. Olivia loves climbing and so I thought maybe she's ready for a proper jungle gym and not just our couches. Was I ever right! She loved that thing! The big kids didn't even scare her and proud mom moment, she likes chasing boys. The girl isn't even 18 months old yet but she already knows. Well, she is my daughter so I can't say I wasn't expecting this a little.
While we were at the park, John and I took turns running around with Olivia while the other held Sophia. There wasn't much time for pictures and I feel a twinge of guilt about that. I want our girls to know that we actually took them to have fun while they were little but at the same time I want to enjoy these moments with them. Olivia isn't going to remember these times and Sophia certainly isn't either but they are great memories of unplugging and having fun as a family for John and I. We left our cell phones and just fell in love with the moment.
I'm not parent-shaming those who were on their phones at the park while their kids were playing but I'm saying that it was nice to just relax and make a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment